We are looking for a Senior Geochemist to join our team. In this position, you would help lead and direct geochemistry assessment work, primarily in the Canadian mining sector. The position is based in Ontario Canada, with the option of you sitting in one of our Mississauga, Toronto, Ottawa, or Sudbury offices (location is flexible). Working collaboratively with our world-class team of more than 30 geochemists across Canada, and other professionals, we provide a positive entrepreneurial environment in which to work on challenging projects and continue your professional growth.
The role will involve overseeing the execution of large-scale geochemistry projects, many of which will involve interactions with other disciplines. Work products will include models, reports, regulatory submissions and other similar deliverables, as well as responding to client, regulatory and stakeholder inquires, questions and comments. You may also appear as an expert witness before regulatory boards and participate as an expert witness in other similar processes. Why WSP?
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.#WeAreWSP#GlobalMiningA day in the life:
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- You'll be developing and reviewing proposed scopes of work, schedules and budgets related to the completion of geochemistry, water quality and environmental assessment projects
- You'll be working with others to manage individual and the overall team workload, as well as working with others to identify staffing lists for each project
- You'll be developing, directing, and overseeing the execution of:
- Project plans and assessment approaches
- Model development, calibration, and validation
- Technical reports, memorandum, presentations, and other project deliverables
- You will be responsible for executing multiple projects within scope/budget/schedule expectations, including responsibility for project deliverables meeting expectations for quality
- You'll be designing, planning, and overseeing field programs, that focus on understanding the geochemical characteristics of materials for mining clients
- You'll be managing, analyzing, and interpreting measured and modelled data, and providing technical oversight and quality control for data collection, management, and analysis
- You'll be working with multi-disciplinary project teams to integrate results of geochemical characterization programs into large scale environmental assessments, geochemical and water quality models, and acid-rock drainage/metal leaching management plans
- You'll be supervising, training, and mentoring junior and intermediate staff to develop their skill sets including technical skills, project experience, and general consulting and decision-making skills
- You'll be actively promoting a culture of health and safety
- You'll be taking an active role in developing and maintaining client relationships and business development opportunities
- A university degree (or equivalent education) in an applicable science or engineering field (e.g., geochemistry, geology, earth sciences)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience or equivalent, preferably in environmental consulting and/or a mining company
- A valid professional designation in at least Ontario.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience regarding acid rock drainage/ metal leaching and mine waste geochemistry assessment
- Demonstrated experience with geochemical sampling design, water and rock sample collection, and analytical methods for mine waste geochemistry analysis
- Demonstrated abilities with geochemical and water quality modeling using industry-standard software packages (e.g., GoldSim, PhreeqC, CE-QUAL-W2, and Geochemist's Workbench)
- Demonstrated success in managing teams and delivering work products in a timely fashion, ideally within a consulting environment
- Previous experience in dealing with regulatory processes related to mining
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated project management skills are an asset
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, and work independently
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.