120 Bloor Street East
Job Family Group:
We are looking for a Senior Manager of Platform Development and Delivery to lead a team of tech leads, software developers and engineers that support the ongoing development, modernization, and automation journey of BMO's self-serve applications such as BMO Online Banking and BMO Mobile App.
This individual will have a drive and passion for software development best practices, continuous improvement/ deployment (CICD), efficiency, and standardization. Ability to multi-task and prioritize work is a must as the Platform Development and Delivery team supports multiple, high-priority initiatives and systems.
We are on a journey to standardize code merging, development tools, branching strategies, code quality and deployment across the portfolio. You will need to delegate, track, and report on resource allocation, monthly code bundle releases, and development progress of ongoing strategic initiatives.
Suitable candidates must demonstrate they have:
- Experience leading enterprise platform teams using multiple technologies.
- Experience leading technical teams to deliver strategic roadmaps.
- Experience in strategically prioritizing work and communicating with appropriate stakeholders
- Solid understanding of building and deploying applications, mobile apps and microservices.
- Ability to provide technical thought leadership to drive the technology roadmap.
- Experience with automating deployments on development, staging and production servers
- Experience migrating from on-prem to cloud solutions.
- Ability to create roadmaps, organize tasks to milestones and delivery timelines.
- Experience with code quality and security scanning tools.
- Experience creating real-time dashboards to understand quality and security of applications and codebases.
- Creative out of the box thinking.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and able to pivot based on changing priorities.
- Regularly connects work to BMO's purpose, sets inspirational goals, defines clear expected outcomes, and ensures clear accountability for follow through.
- Builds interdependent teams that collaborate across functional and operating groups to create the highest value for all stakeholders.
- Improves team performance, recognizes and rewards performance, coaches employees, supports their development, and manages poor performance.
- Evaluates new technologies for fit with the program/system/eco-system and the associated upstream and downstream impacts on process, data, risk (e.g., security). Works toward the objective of defect free software. Ensures that systems functionally meet requirements, align with architecture, and promote the development of common assets. Supports the resolution of production issues and problems. Makes recommendations to improve BMO processes & systems.
- Acts as a thought leader in development, builds deeper relationships with key stakeholders, and demonstrates expert-level skills in coding across multiple languages, LOB's, and/or technology areas.
- Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
- Has expert knowledge to influence and set corporate direction for software development practice, concepts, technology, and methodology.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues.
- Leads workshops to develop solutions from a program perspective in association with all interdependent systems.
- Decomposes business requirements and translates them into detailed design specifications and code.
- Interacts with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers.
- Assesses the costs and benefits for different solutions and recommend/decide on appropriate designs.
- Designs solutions, writes code, performs unit testing, develops appropriate artefacts / documentation, and facilitates final delivery.
- Supports production issues, includes independently completing root-cause analysis and diagnosis.
- Devises new algorithms and data structures for target environment and platform attributes in alignment with architectural patterns.
- Builds solutions that are supportable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets.
- Recommends or automates approaches to streamline and integrate technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Supports the management of specific project deliverables & outcomes.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the development capability, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
We're here to help
- Typically, 10+ years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert level of knowledge in banking domain
- Knowledge of software development practices, concepts, and technology obtained through formal training and/or work experience.
- Knowledge of technical/business environment and processes.
- Understand functional aspects and technical behavior of the underlying operating system, development environment, and deployment practices.
- Have facility with and understanding of the ecosystem that code operates in.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience, and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.