VIRTUAL(R)59 - HomeRes - ON - BMO
Job Family Group:
Performs data analysis and maintenance activities to proactively address the Bank's needs for the identification, classification, modeling, storing, and accessing of information. Understands data in terms of its business and technical lifecycle (Create, Release, Update, and Delete), technical underpinnings of database theories (e.g. structured, unstructured), and various data modelling concepts in both the logical and physical domains. Assists in creation, implementation/installation, configuration, change, and support of data models, databases, data marts, data warehouses. Administers and documents data backup and recovery plans, capacity plans and security plans. Assists in planning and participates in tests for new products and data technology releases to ensure features and functions are acceptable and integrated across systems software and platforms. Proactively investigates/troubleshoots database, technical and systems problems and directs/assures corrective action. Identifies and recommends process or system changes to avoid issues/problems. 24/7 duty may be required.
- Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
- Possesses expert level knowledge of data modelling concepts and is increasingly able to design, develop, and maintain advanced, complex, or mission-critical data models and datasets as well as assisting in developing high-impact, strategic insights.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Troubleshoots and resolves database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues, etc., as well as DB Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
- Conducts performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Performs complex technical, analytical and professional services involving program/member services, evaluation, database-driven Web sites, office operations.
- Designs and implements methods to store, organize, and present data as well as automating data operations.
- Interacts with key stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers.
- Decomposes business requirements and translates them into detailed data design specifications.
- Designs and implements maintenance/backup plans to keep databases in optimal conditions to minimize potential customer data errors and loss.
- Designs and implements security measures for databases.
- Builds data solutions that utilize the enterprise monitoring/logging, and require minimal to zero maintenance, or programmer, DBA, or Operations intervention to perform standard business maintenance/configuration.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability of the technology organization at BMO, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks across technology.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
We're here to help
- Typically 7 - 10 years of work experience in IT or business environment and/or BS/BA or MBA/MS in computer science, engineering, information systems, math or business.
- Knowledge in the required technology (i.e. Db2, Netezza, MongoDB, PostgreSQL AWS databases, etc.).
- Knowledge of physical database design, capacity planning, security planning, backup and recovery systems, operating systems, data modeling, query language, at least one database engine, performance and testing, and software development concepts and technology.
- Awareness of established and emerging data technologies.
- Knowledgeable in database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication.
- Understands indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching and how statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
- Understands the impact of design decisions, technical behaviour of the underlying operating system, technical behaviour of the data management layer, compiler and tools.
- Understand the functional aspects of tools used in data modeling and database development environment, the middleware layer, Dev Ops and deployment environments, packaging and distribution of the solution and run requirements.
- Solid understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Sound knowledge of DevOps, OS and database automation and scripting (e.g. Ansible, shell scripting, Python, SQL)
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Nice to have - PostgreSQL, MongoDB and AWS cloud DBA knowledge and experience.
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.