Amazon's Sponsored Products advertising business is one of the fastest growing areas in the company. Have you ever wondered what happens behind that "Sponsored" label you see in search results on Amazon? Hint: it involves a lot of interesting tech delivered by a great team.
The Sponsored Products Marketplace team optimizes the systems and ad placements to match demand with supply using a combination of data-driven product innovation, machine learning, big data analytics, and low latency/high-volume engineering. By the time organic search results are ready, we've processed all of the potential ads and determined which ones are going to be shown. We do that billions of times per day, resulting in millions of engagements with products that might otherwise not have been seen by shoppers.
The business and technical challenges are significant. Fortunately, we have a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, and a seemingly endless range of new opportunities to build a big, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers.
We're looking for customer-obsessed, innovative, professional engineers who can help us take our products to the next level of functionality, quality and performance. We embrace leaders with a startup mentality - those who seek a disruptive yet clear mission and purpose, have an unambiguous owner's mindset, and are relentlessly obsessed with delivering amazing products. As a Software Engineer on our team, you will be responsible for delivering large-scale, operationally robust software running sophisticated machine learning models that allow us to perform optimizations on Sponsored Products advertising campaigns. You'll own significant products and features from design through launch, and will work with product managers, scientists, UX designers, and other engineers to make your efforts successful. If this sounds like your sort of challenge, read on.
Characteristics indicative of success in this role:
• Highly analytical: You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
• Technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries.
• Engaged by ambiguity: You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and non-obvious solutions.
• Team obsessed individual contributor: You help grow your team members to achieve outstanding results. You've learned that big plans generally involve collaboration and great communications.
• Quality obsessed: You recognize that professional engineers ship complete, tested software to avoid getting trapped in a sea of technical debt. You balance speed with quality.
• Humbitious: You're ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there's always opportunity for improvement. You use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented designPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience with AWS and data-oriented tools such as ElasticSearch, Spark, ElastiCache, and DynamoDB
• Experience with statistical modeling, data science and machine learning
• Experience in online advertising domain (particularly in bidding)
Software and Programming