Requisition ID: 111349
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Purpose
Coordinates and oversees the Global Compliance Testing program for IB Countries and Global Corporate Functions ensuring business strategies, objectives, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. Accountabilities
Education / Experience / Other Information
- The Primary responsibility of this position is to provide coordination and oversight of Scotiabank's International Banking ('IB') (Including the GBM&T and International Wealth business lines in IB) and Global Corporate Functions Compliance Testing Program. The Testing Program covers local and extra-territorial regulatory requirements as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Identifies, defines, builds and maintains a more risk effective and cost-efficient Testing program by providing feedback on enhancements to the Testing methodology which includes the compliance universe, risk prioritized assessments, testing cycles, reporting results and more.
- Partners with the designated IB, GBM&T , International Wealth, Privacy, Conduct, Enterprise, Corporate Functions Compliance teams, Internal Controls, Audit and the Country Based Compliance testing teams in establishing (e.g., annual test plans and agile tests) and executing a risk-based Testing program that identifies areas risk exposure, provides adequate risk coverage and depth of testing while promoting testing consistent disciplines in adherence to the regulatory compliance requirements standards.
- Oversees, coordinates and works closely with the Director of Compliance, Relationship Management, as well as with employees of the various businesses to develop, support, communicate and execute the IB (Including GBM&T and Wealth business lines in IB) and Corporate Function Compliance M&T program.
- Provides advice and counsel to the Compliance teams, Corporate Functions, Businesses and Internal Controls with respect to the Testing program and procedures.
- Oversees the remediation of non-compliance situations raised by testing activities.
- Assess the designated business unit practices to determine their efficiencies and effectiveness as it relates to the mitigation of regulatory risk in alignment with the Bank's digital transformation strategy, identifying trends and/or gaps across businesses and reporting findings with recommendations on how to improve the effectiveness of first line controls to the Director and Senior Management.
- Identifies trends and/or gaps in the existing compliance program and participates in developing, maintaining, and implementing changes to policies and procedures, liaising with the Businesses, Corporate Functions and Internal Controls to implement changes to processes or procedures, as required based on testing results.
- Oversees the execution of a risk based regulatory compliance testing program providing adequate coverage of testing, promoting testing consistency while managing regulatory risk.
- Pro-actively identifies potential violations of regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures, in a timely manner and makes recommendations to mitigate business, compliance and operational risk.
- Reviews and investigates compliance issues, identifies material breaches to Scotiabank policies and regulatory obligations as they arise, and escalates and reports findings from compliance testing to the Directors IB Compliance, and senior management in a timely manner with recommendations on approach to follow.
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Bachelor's Degree in MIS, Business or Accounting, or Juris Doctor with IT with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in the financial services industry, preferably within a regulatory compliance, audit or risk management function in a matrix organization. In addition:
- Fluent written and spoken communication abilities in Spanish and English.
- Ability to drive success in a high performing, flexible and small team environment;
- Excellent knowledge of business regulatory compliance requirements;
- Proven experience deploying compliance solutions, working with prudential or conduct regulator ;
- Proven leadership, collaboration and presentation skills;
- Strong analytical skills, results orientation and data driven approach in decision making (via KPIs and Metrics);
- Experience with providing insights and interacting with the business; can command a room of business stakeholders;
- Experience using analytics to identify areas of risk and opportunities for improvement;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Experience leading change management;
- Understanding of Testing standards , tools and methodologies behind creating valuable compliance programs would be an asset;
- Understanding of external trends, both within and outside Financial Services, create new forms of value that attract customers and deepen their engagement with Scotiabank products.
- Experience/background in managing a team of compliance testers.
- Experience managing remote teams in a virtual environment a plus.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Compliance, Bank, Banking, Law, Developer, Legal, Finance, Technology
Banking, Finance and Insurance