Requisition ID: 108420
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Purpose
Provide expert legal, transactional, structuring, strategic and tactical advice and counsel to Scotiabank's senior executive management team, each of its principal business lines, its strategic transactions and review team and various key support functions in connection with domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, Fintech and private equity investments, reorganizations and other transactions of strategic importance to Scotiabank ("Transactions"), complex commercial arrangements, financial advisory mandates, commercial disputes, and corporate, commercial, securities and regulatory matters.
Evaluating, negotiating and managing multiple complex transactions that are strategically important to Scotiabank, are time sensitive and occur simultaneously across multiple jurisdictions around the World. Major Accountabilities
- Provide expert legal, transactional, structuring, strategic and tactical advice and counsel to Scotiabank's senior executive management team, each of its principal business lines, its strategic transactions and review team and various key support functions in connection with domestic and international Transactions with a view to the Bank's values and objectives and an awareness of the need to minimize reputational, legal, financial and regulatory risk.
- Provide sophisticated advice and counsel to Scotiabank's senior executive management team and its business lines with respect to complex commercial arrangements, financial advisory mandates, commercial disputes and regulatory matters.
- Negotiate contractual terms and protections with CEOs, CFOs, CLOs and other senior executive officers of transactional counterparties, senior partners at leading law firms in Canada, the United States and internationally and prominent investment bankers at leading global investment banks.
- Make strategically important decisions in the context of a demanding, time sensitive, often hostile and complex transactional environment, including with respect to deal strategy and tactics, transactional terms and conditions and legal and structural significance, which have the potential to significantly impact Scotiabank's position.
- Review, draft and negotiate complex legal documentation that protects Scotiabank's interests and has the potential to generate significant revenue and avoid significant financial loss.
- Perform complex evaluations of acquisition candidates in high volume due diligence exercises to identify and assess legal, commercial and reputational risks and contingencies that impact valuation, pricing, the ability to complete a transaction and ensure Bank objectives are met.
- Lead sell-side transactions involving Scotiabank subsidiaries and assets (including portfolio sales).
- Conduct complex, highly sophisticated legal research and analysis in connection with Transactions and commercial arrangements.
- Engage, direct and manage teams of external legal counsel, which often include specialists in the areas of corporate/commercial, securities, regulatory, competition, tax, real estate, employment and labor, pensions and benefits, intellectual property, litigation and information technology.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in multiple jurisdictions in the complex fields of mergers and acquisitions, corporate and commercial law and other specialty areas relevant to Scotiabank's Transactions.
- Assist with the settlement and resolution of legal disputes relating to Transactions and advisory mandates.
- Improve transactional efficiencies and ensure significant cost savings by taking on the major responsibilities of drafting and negotiating transactional documentation, internalizing the initial stages of a transaction process and creating sophisticated template transactional documents.
- Delicately balance the goal of advising the Bank in evaluating, negotiating and/or completing transactions with the goals of minimizing the Bank's risk and maximizing the Bank's strategic objectives, which requires careful consideration of potentially competing objectives within the various functions of the Bank.
Education and Work Experience
- Provide advice, explanations and opinions regarding customary or "market" practice in Transactions (e.g., to assess the adequacy of representations, warranties and covenants; to properly structure complicated purchase price adjustments; to suggest adequate indemnity protections; to provide necessary closing conditions; etc.).
- Graduate of a recognized law school
- Substantial (8+ years) practical in-house and private practice experience
- Membership in the Law Society of one of the provinces of Canada
- Exceptional analytical, leadership, problem solving, relationship building, negotiating, communication and project/people management skills are critical
- Extensive experience evaluating, negotiating, structuring and leading complex cross-border M&A transactions from a leading international law firm are essential
- Significant experience with various complex specialized areas of law, including corporate, commercial and securities law
- Requires expansive international deal experience and experience with strategic transactions in the financial services sector
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Law, Bank, Banking, Developer, Equity, Legal, Finance, Technology