Requisition ID: 98246
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
The Senior Legal Counsel will work directly with the Scotia Global Asset Management business and its functional support groups to provide legal guidance on a broad range of matters, including advising on the development, structuring and offering of, and documentation relating to publicly-and privately-offered investment funds, drafting and negotiating investment management agreements, advising on securities regulatory developments and implications, identifying legal and regulatory risks, advising on policies and procedures, and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements.Major Accountabilities
- Provides legal advice, analysis and support to the business, including by:
- providing high quality legal research, analysis and advice on business activities;
- identifying and assessing legal risks and developing strategies to mitigate risk and protect the Bank's interests;
- advising on the development, structuring and offering of, and documentation relating to publicly-and privately-offered investment funds;
- interpreting legislation which impacts the business; incorporating legislative changes into the business' policies, processes, practices and documentation;
- researching legal issues of substantial complexity on a global, national or regional basis and informing the business on developing legal trends and their impact on operations; providing recommended courses of action;
- identifying and resolving legal and regulatory issues, risks and concerns;
- drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal agreements;
- advising on securities regulatory developments and implications;
- instructing and directing the activity of external counsel; and,
- developing and maintaining strong working relationships with internal business units and partners.
- Day-to-day accountabilities include (i) direct engagement with the asset management business; (ii) working in conjunction with Compliance and other functional areas on legal and regulatory filings and issues; and (iii) proactively responding to proposed legislative/regulatory changes affecting the asset management business.
- Undertakes day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Bank's risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits.
- Graduate of a recognized law school in Canada
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- 8+ years of corporate/securities law experience gained from a law firm, major financial institution and/or securities regulatory body, with an emphasis on asset management and investment fund products
- Knowledge of and previous experience relating to securities registrant regulation, financial services, the investment fund industry, derivatives transactions, private placements, and the Canadian regulatory environment would be an asset
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Manager, Bank, Banking, Developer, Law, Management, Finance, Technology, Legal
Management and Executive