Datacenter Environmental Permitting Program Manager
Location: Canada - Remote; Online / Virtual presence Environmental Permitting Program Manager
The Cloud Infrastructure Environmental Permitting team is responsible for the development and on-time delivery of environmental permits to support construction of Data Centers needed to build out our client's cloud infrastructure. The Environmental Permitting Program Manager will manage environmental due diligence, environmental approvals, and support compliance activities during site acquisition, design, and construction for datacenter development throughout Canada. This role requires regular engagement with key client stakeholders, including legal, design, construction, and operations teams, regulatory agencies, and outside consultants and contractors.
The Environmental Permitting Program Manager will be a key player in both the strategy development and execution of environmental permits for our projects. Specific Job Task -
Environmental due diligence management; Environmental permit application reviews; environmental permit approval delivery; Site acquisition, design and environmental construction compliance support Roles and Responsibilities
- The Environmental Permitting Program Manager is part of a team of environmental and permitting managers but works across the greater organization to drive an effective, fast and efficient environmental permit development process to eliminate gaps between teams and ensure on-time acquisition and delivery of various environmental permits and approvals. He or she will be responsible for driving appropriate cross-team delivery in the review, environmental due diligence, environmental permit acquisition and environmental permit compliance for critical infrastructure to allow for the construction and delivery of our critical infrastructure. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Management of environmental risk evaluations, permitting, approvals, and consent activities for existing and new datacenter and associated infrastructure development for sites in the Americas region including but not limited to the Toronto and Quebec Metros.
• Management of environmental due diligence and risk assessment during site acquisition, including Environmental Site Assessments, soil and groundwater investigations, Air Quality and Permitting reviews, regulatory and permitting evaluations, and biological, ecological, and cultural resource evaluations and surveys.
• Management of environmental consultants for the delivery of environmental approvals and consents, due diligence assessments, risk evaluations, and biological, ecological and cultural resources evaluations, surveys and reports.
Development of remediation strategies, approvals and oversight of completion of any remedial actions required prior to site pre-positioning and/or construction
• Identification of environmental permitting requirements and development of delivery strategies, including environmental mitigation, in coordination with design, construction. EHS, operations, and permitting teams to meet required timelines.
• Support of regulatory agency, stakeholder and community engagement activities and negotiations for new builds and existing facilities.
• Support of development of environmental risk and permitting mitigations to enable datacenter construction and operations within development timelines.
• Management of environmental compliance planning and execution for pre-positioning, construction activities and operational turnover.
• Communication of environmental requirements and environmental expertise to diverse internal stakeholders, including legal, land development, energy, design, construction, operations, community development, and sustainability teams.
• The Environmental Program Manager will maintain and report project status regularly and contribute to the development and continued improvement of an Environmental Excellence program for datacenter delivery and operationsSkills and Qualifications -
In order to be successful, you must have a strong background in environmental permitting and compliance, be able to work in a dynamic and global organization and have a strong desire to continually learn and innovate. In particular, we will expect you to:
1. Have a strong background in project management and the ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to drive desired outcomes.
2. Have specific knowledge of environmental permitting programs and requirements including, but not limited to MELCC environmental permitting, Ministry of Environment and TRCA permitting, air quality, wetlands, spills, waste and other Toronto and Quebec environmental regulatory programs, etc.
3. Have a working knowledge of remedial investigations, remediation strategies and execution, site conceptual models and site management plans.
4. Be fluent in business English (additional regional languages are a plus)
5. Work well within a fast-paced organization who is a self-starter, process-minded, and collaborative.Basic Qualifications -
Minimum Experience Required - Candidates must have: 5+ years of environmental permitting and approvals experience in Canada, including management of environmental impact assessments, acquisition of permits, and cultural and ecological surveys and approvals.5+ years conducting environmental due diligence and risk assessments for greenfield and brownfield sites, including environmental site assessments and remediation. Experience with mission critical facility or large-scale construction projects Ideally will have: Community Engagement and Stakeholder engagement experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental, Civil, or Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science or equivalent
- Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain cross-functional and positive working relationships with internal and external teams
Experience in construction and operational environmental compliance and experience working through environmental permitting in multiple markets
Management and Executive