Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us. Here's our story: jobs.td.com Department Overview
As a Senior Counsel, you will be part of the Global Contracts Team - a hard-working and collegial group of lawyers representing TD in support of its global operations with respect to technology, procurement, outsourcing and other business arrangements with third parties. The Global Contract Team is dedicated to providing best-in-class legal advice to advance the strategies, objectives and third party risk management requirements of TD's business units and corporate functions. This position will give you the opportunity to develop your leadership and legal skills every day at a leading and growing financial institution.
The Global Contracts Team operates out of TD's offices in Toronto, Ontario and Portland, Maine. This role will be primarily located in Toronto. Job Description
• Draft, review, negotiate and close contracts for technology, products and services, and other third party arrangements in support of TD's sourcing team, business units and corporate functions.
• Provide counsel on the risks arising from engagement of third party providers of technology products and services, and other third party arrangements, in accordance with regulatory requirements and TD's third party risk management program.
• Navigate "high" risk business arrangements through TD's contract management process. Duties include: negotiation of contracts in accordance with TD's contract standards; and interaction with the business unit, sourcing, risk stakeholders, and the third party risk management function. Attend third party risk management forum meetings as lead transaction counsel to discuss the risks of transactions proposed.
• Provide counsel and support to sourcing team's contract managers negotiating "medium" and "low" risk business arrangements.
• Work collaboratively to build and maintain superior relationships with third party risk management, the sourcing team, business units, corporate functions, and other members of Global Contracts team and the Legal Department.
• Oversee external counsel engagement and coordinate, where appropriate, interaction between external counsel and the sourcing team / business unit.
• Provide clear instruction to external counsel and closely monitor costs (within a fixed price or budget); interpret external counsel's advice to determine TD's best strategy based upon such advice and your own view.
• Provide TD executives and internal business and corporate group clients with strategic and tactical advice on high impact technology, commercial, privacy, confidentiality, data security and intellectual property matters.
• Coordinate cross-border legal advice through excellent working relationships with in-house counterpart and regional external counsel
• Keep Global Contracts Team and internal clients up to date on regulatory risk and other legal issues; develop solutions to minimize exposure to TD.
• Materially contribute to Legal Department initiatives, including knowledge management and process improvements. Requirements Qualifications / Skills / Experience:
• 7 to 10 years of related work experience in-house or with a law firm (ideally both)
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to identify and focus on high value, high risk work
• Ability to think critically and analyze a great deal of information quickly
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, detail-oriented, global environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities
• Ability to deal effectively with senior officers within TD and influence decision-making
• Technology and intellectual property experience preferred Specific Educational Requirements / Accreditations
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
• Called to a provincial bar in Canada. Additional Information
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Legal Maintenance and Technicians