100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Please Note: This role is open to candidates qualified to practice in Ontario Canada, Illinois or New York USA
Provides and manages the delivery of legal and regulatory advice on products, initiatives, strategies, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group with a focus on metals (commodity) derivatives and other metals transactions (leases, purchases, storage, transportation, etc.). Provides legal advice based on knowledge of legal principles, practices and procedures, and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment. Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives. Works to achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk.
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives, based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group.
- May participate in the design of legal advice strategies & approaches for the unit activity and making recommendations to minimize legal issues.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Exercises judgement on complex, confidential and sensitive matters
- Identifies and resolves moderately complex issues.
- Determines root causes and negotiates resolutions.
- Delivers legal advice, instructs external counsel and ensures compliance with internal policies & procedures for a single or small number of function(s).
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant laws, regulations and policies.
- Resolves daily issues and/or escalates with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations.
- Identifies risks and implements appropriate actions to mitigate them.
- Implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market place.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/ external stakeholders.
- Geographic scope: up to global.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 7 years of legal practice or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Degree in law (LLB or JD) and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction.
- Private practice, in-house experience or experience at regulatory body relating to the regulation of business/group activities may be required with respect to metals (commodity) derivatives and other metals transactions (leases, purchases, storage, transportation, etc.).
- Transactional and advisory experience relating to metals derivatives, and other metals transactions
- Ability to draft and negotiate metals documentation including metals leases, consignments, loans, purchase agreements, master trading agreements, storage agreements, deposit agreements, inventory agreements, and transportation agreements, and (ii) OTC commodity derivatives documentation including ISDAs, CSAs, control agreements, confidentiality agreements, collateral agreements, risk participation agreements, give-up agreements, confirmations and ancillary documentation.
- Knowledge in legal field, typically with a functional or business line specialization relating to derivatives and metals transactions.
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates.
- Advanced knowledge of subject matter legal requirements and the operations of a single client group.
- Negotiation skills - in depth.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
#BMOLRCWe're here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.