At KPMG, you'll join a team of diverse and dedicated problem solvers, connected by a common cause: turning insight into opportunity for clients and communities around the world. The Opportunity:
KPMG's Accounting Advisory Services in Toronto is looking for a Senior Consultant to join their dynamic team.
The Accounting Advisory Services team is a group of dedicated professionals, with a collaborative working environment that leverages the strengths of the members, who are committed to providing the best possible service to our clients. We are currently looking for individuals who are passionate about using their technical accounting, financial reporting and project management skills in a fast-paced cross functional environment to conquer a wide spectrum of accounting and financial reporting challenges. The successful candidates will provide services to both private and public clients across industries and geographies.
Accounting and reporting challenges often arise from organizational change due to non-recurring transactions such as acquisitions, divestures, capital raises, new and amended standards, compliance requirements, new business models, and reorganizations. These complexities are amplified by the significant changes being envisaged in the financial reporting standards in many jurisdictions. Individuals in this role will have exposure to all aspects of our service offerings, including assignments related to technical and complex accounting analyses, carve-out and combined financial statements, acquisition accounting (PPA), GAAP conversions and accounting policy alignment, IPO readiness, implementation of new or amended accounting standards, regulatory filings and disclosures, buy side and sell side financial due diligence support, controllership, and stand-up of finance function.
Individuals who have strong project management skills, an aptitude for problem solving, an ability to communicate technical concepts in plain language, and enjoy brainstorming accounting solutions to evolving fact patterns in a team environment will thrive in this role. Working in this role will provide the opportunity to enhance one's existing technical and operational accounting skills and to build upon analytical, written and oral communication skills. This role will also provide candidates with opportunities to develop skills related to business development, management and growth which would also support further career progression within Accounting Advisory and KPMG. What you will do
What you bring to the role
- Executing the delivery of accounting advisory engagements under multiple accounting frameworks (e.g. IFRS, U.S. GAAP and ASPE) and take ownership of the engagements from start to finish, which will require strong project management skills, including managing client deliverables and expectations.
- Passionate about technical accounting, Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy and reporting, and delivering exceptional client service. In addition, you will have the opportunity to support the delivery of ESG reporting and assurance services to public and private sector clients across a range of industries.
- Remain current on applicable and evolving financial reporting standards, including ESG, and securities and regulatory requirements and developing accounting/business issues.
- Assist clients in developing best practice ESG program development and reporting including benchmarking exercises, gap assessments, roadmap development and other reporting advisory services.
- Assist assurance teams in the delivery of sustainability-related engagements, including sustainability report assurance and greenhouse gas (GHG) assurance.
- Work with broader KPMG advisory teams including Management Consulting, Risk Consulting and Deal Advisory, in support of process/control redesign and advising on other business implications to your clients when assessing the impact of accounting change.
Keys to your success:
- Relevant post-secondary degree and/or CPA, CA (or recognized national accounting designation).
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving capabilities and a desire to enhance technical skills through researching and analyzing accounting standards (IFRS, US GAAP, or ASPE), including an ability to distill the principle out of complex accounting standards (including basis for conclusions and implementation guidance) and an ability to process complex fact patterns and scenarios.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following accounting topics under IFRS or US GAAP: Financial instruments, Revenue from contracts with customers, Leases, Business combinations, Consolidation, Joint arrangements, Share-based payments, Impairment, Employee benefits, and Biological assets.
- Experience in one or more of the following industries is an asset: financial institutions, technology, cannabis, and telecommunications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including preparation of technical memos and presentations), with the ability to 'uncomplicate the complicated' by expressing ideas clearly, convincingly and concisely to both external and internal stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to deliver assignments on time, as well as manage competing demands, without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Versatility and adaptability to a dynamic and often fast-paced environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel and experience with advance functions within Excel including pivot table and VLookup.
- Roles will also require the ability and willingness to travel, sometimes extensively, within Canada and the U.S., as well as internationally.
- A 'client first' mentality, with the ability to understand the client's business and maintain internal and external networks.
- A self-starter who proactively leverages available resources and tools and applies sound judgment throughout the process to formulate pragmatic solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work under time constraints and manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) complex information to various audiences in a clear, understandable and persuasive manner. #LI-LB1
KPMG individuals Deliver Impact | Seek Growth | Inspire Trust and understand that a diverse workforce enables us to deepen relationships and strengthen our business.
Providing you with the support you need to be at your best
For more information about KPMG in Canada's Benefits and well-being, click here . Our Values, The KPMG WayIntegrity
, we do what is right | Excellence
, we never stop learning and improving | Courage
, we think and act boldly | Together
, we respect each other and draw strength from our differences | For Better
, we do what matters
KPMG in Canada is a proud equal opportunities employer and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success and we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose KPMG in Canada as your employer of choice. For more information about Inclusion, Diversity & Equity in Recruitment, please click here .
If you have a question about accessible employment at KPMG, or to begin a confidential conversation about your individual accessibility or accommodation needs through the recruitment process, we encourage you to visit our accessibility page .