January 25, 2019
Reporting to the Vice President, the Senior Commercial Analyst, Corporate Development is responsible for the analyses of a broad range of strategic, economic, financial, business and commercial activities including analysis of major investment decisions such as organic development projects and/or acquisitions and the identification, evaluation and follow-up of opportunities with an overall goal of acquiring or advancing high margin, high value assets that will provide growth and diversification for the Company in multiple commodities and global jurisdictions.
The Senior Commercial Analyst will actively promote, support and communicate a culture and focus on safety in all activities Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Teck's assets and projects.
- Develop the background and expertise to contribute to commodity and industry specific analysis both regionally and globally.
- Acquire general knowledge of tax regimes, financial, business and economic conditions in countries the company is considering investing in and apply this knowledge appropriately in the evaluation of investments.
- Direct various projects such as Business Valuations, Asset Valuations and Tax Restructuring Analysis.
- Identify and review business opportunities in collaboration with other business units, including:
- Providing economic and commercial analyses for investment decisions, exploration investment proposals, and other investment studies on major corporate projects or acquisitions by using sound analytical methods and concepts in finance and by applying economic, accounting, financial and investment principles to the solution of corporate business problems.
- Providing a financial and commercial evaluation resource to all operating and corporate units of the company on as required basis. The successful candidate must be able to develop a thorough understanding and be conversant with Teck's corporate financial planning model which is used as a basis for strategic planning and analysis, long term corporate financing decisions, asset valuations and specific investment decisions.
- Developing detailed, flexible financial models, by integrating and interpreting theoretical and factual databases and applying sound reasoning and analytical processes.
- Participating in due diligence teams, including travel to project sites where appropriate.
- Drawing on expertise/resources from necessary disciplines and business units to complete comprehensive and thorough assessment of opportunities where necessary.
- Combining technical information and data with financial/business data leading to the preparation of memorandums and presentations to the senior management and board members to assist with review, analysis, and decision making.
- Reviewing business evaluations to identify critical value and risk drivers by performing formal risk analysis and risk assessment and assessing sensitivities to critical assumptions.
- Assist the VP Corporate Development, SVP Corporate Development, VP Business Development and Director Strategic Initiatives in developing commercial negotiation points and tactics stemming from detailed financial evaluations, and contribute to the development and assessment of business structures related to investment opportunities;
- As part of Corporate Development team, analyze and evaluate commodity, resource and business sectors to define areas that are appropriate for Teck; and
- Prepare presentation and information packages to assist senior management in decision making.
- Minimum 8 - 10 years' work experience in a financial competency, with mining experience for 4 or more of those years.
- A financial designation such as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), or Chartered Accountant (CA) considered an asset.
- A degree in Geosciences, Geography, Mining, Engineering, Sciences or other technical speciality is considered an asset.
- Significant mining and M&A financial modeling expertise, with an ability to develop and interpret financial models with a strong understanding of business drivers and relevant outputs required to promote decision making.
- A high degree of critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- A self-starter who is able to prioritize amongst multiple projects at once and work with limited guidance.
- Ability to work in a remote team-oriented environment and to be adaptable in order to respond effectively and efficiently to opportunities as they arise.
- Strong relationship-building skills and the ability to work with personnel at all levels of seniority from other functional areas across the Company and external organizations.
- A student of the industry - possess or develop the background and expertise to contribute to commodity and industry specific analysis both regionally and globally.
- Foreign language skills (particularly Spanish) would be an asset
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally, sometimes at short notice. The amount of travel required to perform the role will vary but could typically be up to 15% of the year
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
#L1-JW1 Job Segment:
Accounting, Engineer, Social Media, Financial Analyst, Finance, Marketing, Engineering, Mining
- Apply Now
- Apply with LinkedIn
- Please wait...