Requisition ID: 158848
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Purpose of Job
The Audit Department is the 3rd Line of Defense and plays a key role in the internal control system of the Bank. Its mandate is to provide independent and objective assurance over the design and effectiveness of internal controls to mitigate risks and to provide advisory services designed to improve the Bank's operations.
The role of this position is to carry out audits to assess the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls in Global Business Payments and related supporting units such as Global Wholesale Operations and Business Service Centres with special emphasis on the functioning of the controls related to payments in identifying risks to the business and implementing controls to mitigate risks.
The incumbent will also provide high quality, value added advisory services to Management as part of the audits or special projects/assignments, ensuring all the while that the department and audit methodology standards are met. Key Accountabilities Engagement Planning
- Plan and lead collaborative risk-based audits of moderate to high complexity ensuring scope and extent of work is in accordance with the approved plan, timing and budget are reasonable, procedures are efficient, appropriate resources are assigned and risk understood.
- Hold walkthrough meetings with audit clients to develop and document a thorough understanding of the business, key risks and processes for assigned projects.
- Identify emerging issues that may impact the audit plan.
- Design or update audit procedures for assigned audits. The incumbent should apply risk-based auditing standards and techniques as required.
- Manage and execute assigned audits in accordance with department standards ensuring that the nature and extent of testing are sufficient and appropriate to support the audit opinion. Adopt a continuous dialogue approach with the audit clients during the audit to build rapport and maintain a healthy working relationship with the audit clients.e officer in charge on audits of low to medium complexity.
- Evaluate the adequacy of system design and internal control framework in meeting business, operational and control objectives.
- Strive for efficient use of audit resources by monitoring execution of audits assigned, timely escalation, and management of conflicts. The incumbent is expected to seek and obtain direction, perspective and resources as required in order to complete the assigned audit on time and within budget.
- Identify control weaknesses and develop audit findings to determine the root cause and associated impact/risk including developing practical and cost effective recommendations as to how risks can be mitigated.
- Validate the accuracy of the finding with the auditee and present issues to line management.
- Review audit findings from other participants for presentation to line management.
- Follow up on assigned issues in the Issue Tracking Database for timely resolution.
- Prepare audit findings which clearly report the extent, cost and risk of error, including the impact of those issues on achievement of control objectives, operations processing, financial reporting and regulatory compliance.
- When in a supervisor capacity, review/edit reporting from team members and summarize issues in a draft audit report for review by the assignment supervisor/VP on a timely basis.
- Remain current through ongoing professional development and staying abreast of emerging business and payment trends, technologies, risks and controls.
- Provide direction, guidance and expert advice to audit teams globally related to payments risk management.
- When required, prepare and deliver effective presentations on various audit and payment related matters to Audit senior management and relevant stakeholders across the bank as a means to demonstrate expertise.
- Prepare periodic and annual performance self-assessments, personal goals and objectives for measurement of performance, a career development and training plan and monitor quarterly for achievement/completion.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced staff and assist in team development by training, guiding and monitoring development of staff.
- Establish and maintain solid relationships with audit clients to serve as a catalyst of positive change and improvements.
- Working knowledge of payment products and processes and/or banking operations gained through 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of key trends and payment initiatives in Canada.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Ability to use Power BI or Tableau will be an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of trade finance would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team of professionals.
Requires an undergraduate degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, Information Technology, Computer Science or equivalent at a minimum.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Audit, Compliance, Computer Science, Investment Banking, Risk Management, Finance, Technology, Legal
Accounting Banking, Finance and Insurance