100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Audit, Risk & Compliance
This role is enterprise-wide in scope, reporting to the Head, BMO Climate Institute to develop and implement, in collaboration with other teams across the bank, BMO's climate change strategy and client advisory efforts. The role will include acting as a resource to BMO's Lines of Business (LOBs).
The holder of the role will have subject matter expertise in climate change mitigation strategies and draws on practical work experience in industrial decarbonization. A background in economic analysis is preferred. The role requires someone highly adaptable and not afraid of ambiguity. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES Climate Solutions Financing Strategy
Convening Dialogue and Thought Leadership
- Assess transition risk and decarbonization opportunities for sectors in BMO's financing portfolios, including agriculture, real estate, power, transportation, resources, and heavy industry through financial analysis and modelling of industry-specific decarbonization pathways.
- Assist in GHG accounting including scope three emissions quantification, utilizing industry methodologies such as PCAF to support financed emissions calculations and GHG reduction target-setting.
- Build innovative approaches to client engagement materials, internal training, toolkits and dashboards for embedding climate considerations across financing activities.
- Provide ongoing research and develop thought leadership on climate-related financing barriers and opportunities.
Climate Disclosure and Impact Measurement
- Identify emerging issues, trends, best practice standards and global commitments related to climate change and make recommendations regarding adoption and implementation.
- Develop internal and external engagement strategies to accelerate climate-related strategic objectives.
- Monitor activities and collaborate proactively with colleagues in LOBs and Corporate Areas to continually advance BMO's climate agenda.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with internal stakeholders to enhance awareness and drive buy-in of climate change and influence strategies and actions to capture opportunities related to climate change.
- Inform climate-related investor and stakeholder relations, in the context of international best practice and understanding of market expectations and diverse stakeholder perspectives.
- Contribute to thought leadership and marketing/communication on climate topics.
- Actively participate in and represent BMO in international industry associations and working groups.
- Represent and coordinate BMO's engagement in public forums through speaking engagements, roundtables, etc.
- Prepare Executive and Board-level materials for members of the leadership team and, where required, deliver presentations to internal councils and committees including to the Executive Leadership Team.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Support the development of policies and programs to facilitate the implementation of climate change and sustainability strategy, monitoring and reporting.
- Inform innovation and content of BMO's climate related sustainability disclosures.
- Inform public facing statements and policies on climate matters, with internal subject-matter experts, to satisfy market expectations.
- Inform BMO's impact measurement strategy on all climate-related topics.
We're here to help
- A very strong technical background, as demonstrated by a P.Eng. or other relevant discipline
- Ideally 10+ years of work experience in engineering or related field
- Experience with climate analytics and economic modelling
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to navigate ambiguous situations
- Motivated self-started with the ability to work independently and lead teams
- Politically astute, diplomatic and able to navigate complex corporate and external environment with numerous stakeholders on highly sensitive and controversial topics
- Results oriented and goal driven
- Adaptable and organized working style
- Strong change management skills
- Well-developed negotiation skills and ability to influence decision making
- A team player and leader, able to successfully work with others and be committed to achieving common goals
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.