Security Guard - Algonquin College
Reference ID: 324456
Paladin Security was established in 1976 as a provider of basic Security Officer services. From modest beginnings with four employees and one contract, Paladin has grown into one of the largest security companies in Canada, with 25 offices from coast to coast and over 10,000 employees. With our award-winning culture, we pride ourselves in fostering a learning environment as we believe in helping each of our employees grow and reach their full potential!
Job Skills / Requirements
Position: Campus Security Guard
Site: Algonquin College
City: Ottawa, ON
Hours: Continental Rotation - 12 hour shifts
Pay Rate: $16.90/hour probation; $17.50 thereafter
Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology was established in 1967 and was named after the First Nations people who lived in the area. Algonquin was formed from the merger of the Eastern Ontario Institute of Technology, established 1957, and the Ontario Vocational Centre, established 1965. The College celebrates 45 years as a leader in post-secondary education, and has undergone significant growth since its establishment and continues to grow today. Algonquin serves over 56,000 students in more than 180 full time and continuing education programs.
Patrol assigned area on foot, on bicycle, or in motor vehicle, as assigned, to ensure personal, building, and equipment security.
• Ensure students, staff and visitors adhere to Algonquin College policy, directives and regulations
• Monitor activities and respond to incidents and such as criminal activity, security breaches, assaults, sexual assaults, harassments, thefts, mischief, public order, noise complaints, safety hazards, etc.
• Assist with investigations by gathering information, photo and video documentation and complete a comprehensive written incident report
• Respond and liaise with emergency responders when attending to emergency situations such as fire, evacuations, bomb threats and critical violent acts and lockdown
• Respond and liaise with emergency medical services for major and minor medical emergencies
• Offer support to any person in need such as providing good customer service when providing a security presence, such as providing directions on college campus
• Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Successfully conduct security patrols without direct supervision.
• Remain calm and effectively perform during emergencies.
• Write comprehensive reports and maintain proper written records
• Effective verbal communication skills.
• Able to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
• Basic knowledge of security procedures, handling violent behaviors, and non-defensive communication.
• Able to follow, and enforce safety codes, college regulations, and procedures.
• Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
• Able to handle private and confidential information with a high amount of discretion.
• Present a professional image to the public.
• Adhere to our Code of Ethics in performing job requirements.
• Able to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
• Adapt to a variety of environmental factors while performing exterior patrols.
• Moderate physical activity including standing and/or walking for extended periods of time.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
• Demonstrates superior customer service skills and able to work independently
• Flexibility to work a variety of shifts (days/nights/weekends/holidays).
• Minimum of a Police Foundations Diploma
• Must be 18 years old and meet all other minimum requirements and MUST be able to obtain a Security Guard License in Ontario.
• Must have a G License
• Use of Force and First Aid/CPR Level C with AED training would be considered a definite asset
• Previous customer service related experience would be an asset
• Previous campus and other related security experience would be considered a definite asset
Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma/GED
Post secondary education in law enforcement from a recognized insititution or equivalent experience
Certification Requirements (Any)
Valid Security Licence
Valid G Licence
Standard First Aid, CPR Level C
Additional Information / Benefits
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants that are short listed will be contacted for an interview.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays
This is a Full-Time position Continental Rotation - 2 weeks days & nights .
Posted: November 17, 2018
Closes: January 16, 2019