Requisition ID: 131001
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. The team:
As part of the Level 1 UNIX group, you will be a part of a multi country team that works daily with colleagues in several different centres of excellence. You will provide mission critical services to many business lines across the Bank that are on the UNIX platform. Our team's responsibilities are to contribute to the stable running of the Bank's processing systems, and to assist in moving the Bank's Technology based projects and business initiatives forward for our customers and internal/institutional partners. The role:
You will play a critical part in the monitoring, management, and maintenance of the UNIX (Solaris/Linux) infrastructure stack with the goal of stability, performance, and up time on 3000+ server environment. You will be engaged with both internal bank partner/peer teams, external partners, and vendors for all activities that are happening on the UNIX platform.
As our group supports a 24x7 operations environment, we have rotational shifts that span days, evenings & overnights, plus weekends & holidays (bank & statutory). On occasion, there are off-hour projects & maintenance to do. Is this role right for you?
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- You thrive on being challenged in an environment where you need to multi-task, to stay focused and be detail oriented when there are competing time constraints, problems, requests from multiple communications channels from many groups.
- You are genuinely willing to face change with openness.
- You are willing to learn a varied assortment of processes, tasks, technologies in being inside a team that works many challenges amongst disparate parts of the Bank.
- You get to work on Solaris, Linux operating systems running on Oracle Sparc and x86 hardware products, virtual hosts including LDOMs, VMware and Cloud.
- You are not afraid to ask for help in stressful circumstances and unfamiliar situations, given the breadth of our tasks.
- You have a great deal of organizational skills and can maintain that while you adjust dynamically to changing situations.
- You are willing to work on shifts and odd hours.
What's in it for you?
- You can demonstrate strong communication (verbal/written) skills.
- You have at least 3+ years of hands-on technical working experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) server support & administration (hardware, operating systems, application) on Red Hat 7/6/5 environments.
- You have experience with Solaris (10/11) environments on SPARC based servers.
- You have hands on experience with virtualization technologies (VM, Zones, LDOMs).
- You have experience with production support tasks (e.g., issue investigation/resolution/escalation).
- You have experience in working with an IT ticketing system (e.g., ServiceNow).
- You also possess good interpersonal skills, solid analytical, time management & problem-solving abilities.
- You possess a post-secondary education in Computer Science/Engineering (or equivalent).
- You can be a part of the team that assists with implementations & enhancements for server, data centre and business initiatives.
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world.
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success! We also foster an environment of innovation and continuous learning.
- We care about our people, allowing them to design how they work to deliver amazing results.
- We offer a competitive total rewards package, including a performance bonus, company matching programs (pension & Employee Share Ownership), generous vacation; health/medical/wellness benefits; employee banking privileges.
- While we currently work remotely from home, if there is a major incident, the team may be asked to go into the worksite, which is:
- Located steps from TTC's King 504 streetcar stop, which gets you to TTC's Line 1 subway stops at King or St. Andrew stations, and its connection to GO Transit/VIA Rail hub at Union Station. Also located steps from TTC's 511 Bathurst streetcar stop, which is a transfer point from TTC's Line 2 subway stop at Bathurst station.
- Just announced - steps from the Bathurst / King subway stop on the new Ontario Line. Scheduled to open in 2030.
- If you really want to drive to work, it's minutes away from the Gardiner Expressway / Lakeshore Boulevard West.
- Our location has a lunch room with TV screens, fridges, microwaves & vending machines. It's also in a dynamic & flourishing neighbourhood that is home to many nearby top Toronto restaurants/bars & fast-food options. Nearby amenities include a running club, florist, pharmacy, convenience stores, supermarket, LCBO, coffee shops.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Help Desk, Information Technology, Medical, Developer, Systems Analyst, Technology, Healthcare
Customer Service and Support Information Technology