All companies are not the same. What makes TD special as a business is also, what makes us special as an employer. Why TD?TD's Colleague Promise: A better you. A better us.
A more confident you means a stronger us. We empower you to grow your skills, gain new perspectives, and create impact at work and in your community. That's our unique and inclusive culture.Department Overview
Co-op and Internship opportunities allow you to gain valuable work experience across a number of the businesses at TD. You will work with experienced colleagues, receive world class training, and be part of a community of students across TD, where you will have an impact, grow as individual and experience our culture of care.
Our Momentum Program
is offered with select Co-op and Internship roles and is designed to help you better understand the TD business, build on critical career capabilities, and broaden your professional network. This program is designed to complement your on-the job experience and features:
- Leadership talks with key Leaders from across the organization
- Lunch and Learns on topics such as Innovation
- Diversity and Inclusion and Personal Branding and so much more
TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) is an Investment Management firm with leading market positions in active, quantitative and passive portfolio management serving a large and diversified client base including pension funds, corporations, institutions, endowments, foundations and high net worth individuals. We also offer private money management services and manage retail mutual funds. Job Description
Are you ready for a challenge? We are seeking an intellectually curious person, with a high level of mathematical maturity and excellent Python skills, to join the Portfolio Research & Analytics team as a Quantitative Portfolio Research Intern/Co-op
The models developed by the Portfolio Research & Analytics team inform the investment decision making process and help drive quantitative investment strategies. If selected for this role, you will be primarily working on enhancing and testing our models and data processing capabilities.
On any given day you may be asked to:
- Analyze a risk model for potential pockets of instability, and if any are found, research their root causes
- Write a data scraping script and verify the correctness of output data using both visual and quantitative methods
- Tune an optimizer profile to produce trades that are consistent with the investment objective of a fund
- Develop a portfolio asset-allocation strategy that maximizes the Sharpe ratio, from a given set of component returns, and perform historical backtests
- Create visualizations for return and risk performance indicators using Python
- Fit a factor model and test its out-of-sample performance using Python statsmodels
- Teach yourself some methodology you've never heard of before, by reading a paper, and then figure out the best way to use it in order to add value to the portfolio management process
Candidates will find this role a great opportunity to leverage their strong mathematical and data analysis skills while gaining front office financial industry experience.
Why you should be excited about applying for this role:
- A chance to see the results of your work have immediate real-world impact
- One-on-one mentoring
- Co-op events
Students will have the opportunity to work on several projects independently and see the results of their work used in real-world contexts. Students will gain extensive experience in using Python for quantitative research, and significant hands-on SQL database experience Requirements
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree majoring in relevant technology programs, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Finance, or similar.
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree with the intent of going back to school at of the start of your work term ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Excellent understanding of mathematics:
- Linear algebra (e.g. decomposing a matrix into its eigenvectors)
- Statistics (e.g. multivariate regression, covariance matrices)
- Probability (numerically computing the expectation of an arbitrary function over a continuous density, finding a distribution that best fits to data)
- Mental persistence to analytically explore all logical implications of an idea
- Experience in implementing your ideas in software, preferably using one of the following tools
- Experience with the following would be considered an asset:
- Bloomberg terminal
- SQL and database design (with any major RDBMS)
- Git version control
- Familiarity with software development in a Linux-based environment
- Strong time management and organization skills.
- Keen interest in finance and investments. Previous experience in financial industry is not required but considered an asset.
- Attributes that are beneficial to the role are: self-starter, analytical and attention to detail.
- The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in a team environment.
- This position is a 4-month work term and will commence Sept 7 - Dec 23, 2021.
- Applications must include a transcript, cover letter (one letter-sized page or less) and a resume (maximum of 2 pages).
- We welcome all applications; however, we will only contact qualified candidates chosen for an interview. Thank you for your interest.
- TD requires employees to reside in the country where the role is located, irrespective of remote working arrangements
- TD is committed to providing you with the best candidate experience and internship in these unique circumstances. As such, work location and start dates are subject to change.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.