Department: Human Resource Services
Classification: Support Staff
Posting Date: February 24, 2022
Salary Range: $30.56 (start rate) - $35.42 (4-year rate)
Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week
Status: Full Time
Reporting to the Manager, Total Rewards, the incumbent is responsible for processing and balancing payroll, processing payables, and preparing year-end reports and documents (T4's). Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Running the payroll calculation process from preliminary to confirmation and finalization
• Running all pre-programmed payroll reports and troubleshooting any inconsistencies or inaccuracies (including general ledger interface)
• Ensuring that the HRIS is calculating taxes, taxable benefits and different employee/employer costs and that the proper remittances are made to Revenue Canada, SunLife, CAAT Pension Plan, etc.
• Transmitting all files to appropriate institutions (including direct deposit, Retirement Savings Plan (RSP) and Records of Employment (ROE) via ROE Web
• Processing paperwork to ensure payables (remittances, garnishees, special deductions, Sun Life) are paid accurately and on a timely basis as well as balancing all payable accounts
• Processing adjustments as required for employees moving from one wage loss plan to another; for mid-year enrolments into pension plans; or to correct year to date deduction or tax amounts
• Reconciling the college bank account for all payroll transactions
• Balancing and remitting Sun Life premiums and processing retiree billings and collection of fees
• Preparing all year-end adjustments, reports or remittances and producing/distributing all T4's and T4A'sQUALIFICATIONS:
• Successfully completed a two-year postsecondary diploma in a relevant field of study that may include, but is not limited to business or accounting
• Successful completion of Canadian Payroll Association - Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation
• Three years' current experience working in a large unionized Human Resources/Payroll department using a computerized payroll system (preferably PeopleSoft version 9.0 or higher)
• Demonstrated experience managing T4 process and reconciling year-end statutory remittances (Receiver General/Employer Health Tax)
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and current Human Resource and Payroll legislated requirements
• Computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) to prepare reports and correspondence
• Proven mathematical and analytical skills in order to interpret Income Tax, Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, and Pension regulations
• Communication (oral and written) and problem-solving skills to resolve/troubleshoot inaccuracies and communicate information
• Detail-oriented with accurate data entry skills
• Demonstrated organizational and multitasking skills with the ability to prioritize to meet varying critical deadlines
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process. Georgian College has a COVID-19 vaccination procedure in place. As a condition of employment, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to work on any campus, or a facility owned, operated or controlled by Georgian College unless they have a valid medical or religious belief/creed reason for not getting vaccinated, which reason will be considered on a case by case basis and which will be subject to the College's accommodation processes. Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. on March 6, 2022.
While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.