Department: Health, Wellness and Sciences
Classification: Support Staff
Posting Date: December 1, 2021
Salary Range: $35.71 - $48.18
Hours per week: Up to 24 hours per week - Current hours anticipated to be 12 hours per week
Status: Part-time (Casual)
Effective Date: January 3, 2022 - August 31, 2022 THIS IS A CONTRACT (PART-TIME) POSITION.
Positions available in Barrie, Orangeville, Collingwood, and surrounding areas.
During your contract period, placement assignments are scheduled semester by semester and are not guaranteed and are subject to change as determined by program requirements and placement confirmations by our third-party partners.
Under the direction of the Clinical Placement Manager and in collaboration/consultation with the Faculty Leads, the incumbent provides students with appropriate learning experiences in health care settings, coordinates selection and scheduling of clients, monitors and supervises student practice, and provides input into the student evaluation process. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Providing students with appropriate learning experiences to assist them in meeting program practice course learning outcomes in their clinical experiences
• Selecting and scheduling clients for student care according to level and ability of student
• Providing orientation for students to the clinical placement site and respective Policies and Procedures
• Organizing practice and skills demonstrations (refresher/remediation) to reinforce applied pre-learned principles/theory
• Supervising and monitoring ongoing client care provided by the students
• Intervening with client care when required (if client condition suddenly changes and the student is unable or unprepared to handle the situation or deal with a complex medical crisis)
• Ensuring proper safety standards and procedures in a health care environment are being followed
• Providing students with clarification, guidance and feedback in practice related to nursing skills
• Providing input into the evaluation process on observed nursing skills by using established forms and evaluation tools to assess students' clinical performance, and provide feedback to faculty on observed skills
• Building and maintaining relationships/linkages with placement sites as the on-site College representative
• Resolving issues/concerns such as assignment conflicts or incident reports, and referring complex issues/concerns to the Clinical Placement Manager, Faculty Lead or Program Coordinator as needed
• A Nursing Diploma or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (BScN)
• Current registration, in good standing, as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN) with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
• Five years' experience working as a Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse in a medical/surgical setting
• Computer skills and experience using the Microsoft Office Suite
• Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety rules and regulations in a health care setting
• Interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with the ability to handle requests and problems with diplomacy
• Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
• Organizational skills to prioritize tasks and meet multiple and conflicting deadlines while demonstrating a high degree of accuracy
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position by lifting over 44lbs to assist students to transfer or lift clients
• Ability to work non-traditional hours including early mornings, late evenings and/or weekend shiftsSuccessful candidates will be required to submit proof of Professional Liability Insurance and maintain current registration in good standing with CNO.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process. Georgian College has a COVID-19 vaccination procedure in place. As a condition of employment, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to work on any campus, or a facility owned, operated or controlled by Georgian College unless they have a valid medical or religious belief/creed reason for not getting vaccinated, which reason will be considered on a case by case basis and which will be subject to the College's accommodation processes.This posting will be open until filled.
While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.