Who we are
As the Working and Learning Company, we at Staples Canada, are dynamic, inspiring partners to our customers and the communities in which we live. At Staples, we inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We look for people who are curious, approachable and passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that's you, let's work, learn and grow together. We are building an inclusive and diverse team
Staples Canada is creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. We welcome, value and thrive on perspectives and contributions from backgrounds that vary by race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lifestyle, age, educational background, national origin, religion or physical ability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Some of what you will do
As the Operations Manager - Retail Projects, you will manage retail process improvement projects and application implementation for store operations. You will also define the project's objectives and oversee quality control, risk management, and stakeholder expectations throughout its life cycle. You will be responsible for the general design, analysis and project management activities for medium to large complex process improvement projects including consulting with business units, determining and defining user needs and business requirements as well as developing detailed business and technical specifications, and Q&A documentation. This role will interface with end users to develop models, works with business analysts and developers to implement the system and handle project management duties . Specifically, you will:
Some of what you need
• Lead project team(s) and assumes day to day planning, management and control of application development and maintenance of a project(s), including the selection of methodologies, techniques and tools that are appropriate to the project(s).
• Manage the day-to-day project activities of one or more unrelated complex projects or a mix of related projects with capital budgets ranging from $0 (internal resources only) to $1M+
• Manage project team, stakeholder, vendor, client and senior management relationships.
• Manage and balance stakeholder expectations regarding the project schedule, cost, scope and identify and manage risk to these components.
• Work closely with the business sponsors and users within various departments to understand their current and future application, system and process needs.
• React quickly to scope change requests and implement sufficient change control monitoring within a project
• Manage project financials to include compiling cost estimates into a forecast and monitor actual spend against budget.
• Project manage and accountable for various department process initiatives by maintaining detailed project plans, assigning tasks, chairing project meetings and providing monthly project summaries.
• Lead national process improvement steering committee and assist in managing project pipeline for retail process team. Provide priority and level of effort recommendation to Business Process Manager and execute agreed upon order of project/enhancement priorities
Some of what you will get
• 5+ years of experience in management roles for large, complex IT or retail process-based projects with significant application development components, including a minimum of 5 years with responsibility for staffing, budgeting, scheduling and monitoring.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required; Bachelor's Degree in IT operations, business, or related field and/or Master's Degree is an asset
• PMP and/or Master's certification in Project management and/or Agile/Scrum certification is an asset
• In depth knowledge of and ability to adapt project management practices
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and improve complex processes
• Strong financial acumen, with prior experience in creating "Level of Efforts" (LOE), Business Cases, and ROI assessments
• Experience working in an Agile Environment an asset
• Strong knowledge of enterprise retail applications such as AS400 and POS systems is preferred.
• Strong working knowledge of MS Project, Project Server, Visio, SharePoint, MS Power Point
• Prior experience managing and successfully executing projects with internal IT partnership
• Solution finder
• Associate discount
• Health and Dental benefits
• Performance bonuses
• Learning & Development programs
• And more...
• Office Environment (Hybrid - remote working and the office.)
• Occasional travel within Canada may be required
Retail Operations and Logistics