Location: Toronto, Canada
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Thales provides world-leading Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) and interlocking for mass rail transit applications globally. The Centre of Competence for Urban Rail Signalling is located right before you at mid-town Toronto. As the largest office in Canada, we house a department for every step of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)! This includes Software, Hardware, Systems Design, Verification & Validation, Operations, etc. The supporting corporate shared services teams in Finance, Human Resources and IT is also located at the office. Our office space was designed to provide a sustainable, healthy workplace that expresses TRSS's brand while increasing collaboration. Features include Greenguard furniture, EnergyStar appliances, low-emitting adhesives, sealants, and sliding glass doors on internal offices provide daylight and views to the outside. Come join the big Transport family, here in Toronto!
We are looking for a Network Design Specialist to join our Systems Engineering team.
Your mission will be to address all design aspects of a mission-critical communication system that supports the operation of the Communication-Based Train Control (CBTC) system. This includes: analysis of Customer's (internal or external) specifications to define network architecture, features and solutions, development of system and subsystem requirements, creation of a detailed network design, development and hands-on implementation of the solution, as well as participation in all deployment, verification and validation activities and support.
You will be accountable for performing the design work correctly, within cost and schedule limits, as defined in approved work packages. The work is typically defined by the Work Package Manager, then reviewed, modified and agreed with and approved by the Systems Architect and/or Manager. The System Engineer typically works with a team of other engineers to define what will be designed, how it will perform and how it will be determined that it is working correctly, as well as leading the actual design and deployment of the solution.
- Converts Customer (internal and/or external) requirements into conceptual designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features
- Creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil customer requirements
- Prepares system, subsystem, and interface requirement specifications by analyzing, decomposing modelling and refining customer requirements and typical train control domain requirements
- Performs technical/engineering tasks to define system design, subsystem requirements
- Analysis and simulations are performed as necessary to identify design feasibility & driving requirements
- Creates and documents detailed network designs implementing the requirements
- Deploys the solutions in the lab and in the field, including supporting testing and commissioning activities
- Participates in technical reviews of component designs, installation designs, vendor selection and qualification, and other related areas
- Provides highest tier support for complex and high-visibility issues in the field
- Prepares and supports bids and proposals, including customer requirements compliance assessment, gap analysis, architecture design, simulation, trade-off of key features, estimation, etc.
- Presents technical design and reports to customers and/or other engineering/management groups in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms
- Defines or proposes updates of processes and standards covering the work and its products based on the knowledge of systems engineering and/or his technical specialty
- Operational design limits are evaluated and defined; performance analyses and simulations are developed and performed to support the process
- Interfaces and builds strong working relationships with Software, Hardware and IVVQ groups to ensure timely analysis and resolution of in-house and field test issues
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Engineering or a closely related field
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in development of industrial control networks
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong application domain knowledge; specifically industrial control networks
- Knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices
- Knowledge of systems development life cycle
- Knowledge of installation design principles and practices
- Knowledge/experience in site deployment and commissioning of networks
- Expert knowledge of the following networking principles and technologies: Ethernet/IP-based networking (switching/routing protocols); Redundancy and high-availability technologies; Network/IT services; MPLS and VPN technologies; RF networking (802.11, LTE); Cyber-security principles, technologies and solutions;
- Knowledge/experience in the following fields is desired: Railway-specific designs and standards (e.g. IEC-61375, EN-50159); Software Defined Network (SDN) solutions (e.g. VMWare NSX, Cisco); SD-WAN solutions; Programming/scripting
- Experience in using DOORS, Melody advance, etc.
- Rail Signaling knowledge is desirable
- Having a P.Eng License would be an asset
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.