Who we are
Staples Canada is on a journey to become the Working and Learning Company. We are dynamic, inspiring partners to our customers and the communities in which we live. At Staples, we inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We look for people who are curious, approachable and passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that's you, let's work, learn and grow together.
Some of what you will do
As the Manager, Compensation & Benefits Strategy, you will lead a team of Analysts in the design and administration of compensation, benefits, and recognition programs. You will work in collaboration with various functional groups (HR, Communications, Operations, Finance, etc.) to design and create competitive programs to drive employee performance, engagement, and business results. You will identify opportunities to create new programs/policies to support our total rewards strategy as well as recommend improvements or redesign for our current programs. Each day will be fast-paced, challenging, rewarding and meaningful. Specifically, you will:
• Manage the benefit and retirement programs and financials (Health, Dental, Life, AD&D, LTD, RRSP/DPSP). Monitor benefits trends and legislative changes, employee satisfaction and opportunities to amend policies to support a strong total rewards offering. Some of what you need
• Partner with external benefit consultants and benefit vendors on program changes, plan design, renewal negotiations, enrolment, and plan administration.
• Oversee the production of monthly reports and financials related to the benefit plans, monitor benefits expense trends and prepare projections for future expected costs and trend.
• Lead the annual merit administration and the calculation of bonuses for assigned client groups.
• Manage the variable and long-term incentive programs. Partners with HR Business Partners and business groups on variable plan design. Maintain annual bonus documents. Oversee the expense projections, final calculations, and personalized statements for all our variable pay/bonus programs.
• Participate in the job evaluation committee meetings and ensure the Master evaluation table, and PS Job table are maintained.
• Monitor the regulatory landscape to ensure our programs are compliant. Ensure that Staples is Pay Equity compliant and participate in pay equity audit exercises.
• Manage rewards and recognition programs. Provide creative input into program design and ensure that the programs run smoothly.
• Manage the administration and improvement of a wide variety of Canadian focused rewards/associate programs including Scholarship administration, Service Recognition programs, and Associate Discount programs.
• Lead the annual budgeting process for benefits and compensation, working closely with Finance team in the ongoing management of the budget. Be responsible for salary, bonus, and benefit cost projections.
• 7 - 10 years progressive experience in compensation and benefits, including previous experience managing a team. Some of what you will get
• Experience in a retail or multi-location operations focused environment an asset.
• University Degree or equivalent, Completion of post graduate studies in Human Resources or Compensation.
• Completion or near completion of World at Work Compensation Professional Accreditation (CCP).
• CHRP would be an asset.
• Experience leading the design and implementation of compensation structures and variable pay programs.
• Experience managing benefit and retirement programs (RRPS/DPSP), including plan design, vendor negotiations, renewals, open enrolment, financial analysis, and communications.
• Ability to interpret and explain the application of Human Resources policy. Knowledge of employment legislation.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and time constraints.
• Ability to pivot to meet organizational needs.
• Strong communication, influencing and presentation skills, with a strong customer focus.
• Ability to think and act strategically and demonstrate a consultative approach to partner with business leaders to translate business needs and develop compensation programs to support the achievement of business goals and objectives.
• Financial acumen and ability to synthesize data and present recommendations and financial impact to senior leadership.
• Excellent systems knowledge, Peoplesoft experience would be an asset.
• Advanced Excel and analytical skills. Experience using Access Databases and Tableau an asset.
• Solutions finder
• Associate discount Additional Information
• Health and Dental benefits
• Performance bonuses
• Learning & Development programs
• And more...
• Office environment Employment Statement
• Option to work remotely
Staples is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. We will accommodate applicants' needs, upon request, throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Please inform us of the accommodation(s) that you may require. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.