Law Clerk, Canadian Business Immigration
Reference ID: TOR003FY
As a Law Clerk, you will be a professional staff member of the EY Law Business Immigration Group, working in affiliation with EY. You will work closely with members of EY's People Advisory Services group, to help companies address the challenges associated with managing today's globally mobile workforce. EY Law LLP helps companies and their employees efficiently relocate wherever they need them to be. The firm's comprehensive range of services-from advising on immigration issues and the use of international agreements in immigration matters, to arranging entry visas, work permits or permanent resident status-makes operating across borders less painful and more cost-effective for employers.
Your key responsibilities
As a Law Clerk, you'll be a professional staff member of the EY Law Business Immigration Group, working in affiliation with EY. The primary role of the law clerk is to support the team of immigration lawyers by drafting immigration applications for individuals seeking permission to work or live in Canada and/or the United States; and to coordinate tracking status expiration dates for ongoing clients.
Skills and attributes for success
Client contact/communication: Speaking with HR representatives of corporate clients and employees (applicants) to obtain information to assist in drafting applications ; Follow up with applicants and HR contacts to obtain copies of visas/documents
• Learn basic immigration processing categories and requirements for each category
• On instruction from the lawyer, research current processing requirements at service centres/consulates etc.
• Collect information from HR contact and applicant
• Using available resources, draft complete application packages for review by the supervising lawyer
• Make revisions to drafts
• Ensure that applications are filed in a timely manner
• Meet with lawyers to discuss questions raised by the client and then relate information back to the HR contact/applicant
• Draft emails in response to queries by clients
• Delegate appropriate work to legal assistants, such as: typing of forms, copying of documents, and sending out packages
• Follow up with immigration authorities on pending applications
• Enter expiration dates for applicants' status in tracking system
• Notify clients of upcoming extensions
• Keep individual client status charts updated (where required)
Communicating with other professional and support staff at EY Law: Ensure that lawyers are at all times advised of client related issues that come to the attention of the law clerk; Participate actively in meetings of the professional staff of EY Law
Professional Development: May be required to attend seminars and professional development courses that are relevant to his/her area of specialty
To qualify for the role you must have
• Undergraduate University Degree, College Diploma, or equivalent experience
• 2+ years of Canadian Business Immigration experience
• Must be highly organized and have the ability to communicate effectively
• Excellent writing skills
• Strong attention to detail
Ideally, you'll also have
• The ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic team-oriented environment
• Experience in Permanent Residence work is highly preferred
What we look for
We're interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
• Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work and with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Posted: May 23, 2019
Closes: July 22, 2019