MISSISSAUGA/TORONTO/HAMILTON, Greater Toronto Area
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.The Opportunity:
WSP has a new opportunity for a Junior Environmental Scientist working out of our GTA-Central region.
You'll be part of our growing Site Assessment and Remediation team, using your recently acquired training and skills as to complete environmental site assessment, excess soil management and remediation projects in Ontario. As part of the Environmental Management team in Ontario, you'll also be responsible for driving forward our ambitious plans to enhance our geo-environmental multidisciplinary service offerings in the province through your work with a close-knit team of engineering specialists, professionals and technical staff. Why WSP?
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.#WeAreWSPA day in the life:
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Providing technical services in both the field and office environment related to environmental science and engineering
- Working with and providing support to other members of the Site Assessment and Remediation team, including engineers, scientists and field technicians, under the supervision and mentorship of senior technical leaders;
- Conducting assignments such as analysis of information and report preparation as well as supervising and/or carrying out Environmental Site Assessments (Phase I/One and II/Two), and executing excess soil management and remedial programs;
- Completing environmental assignments on projects of low to high complexity, as you continue to gain experience in the industry;
- Preparing and adhering to site-specific health and safety plans to mitigate or eliminate risks to you, WSP's clients, employees, and the public
- Identifying and reporting potential and existing site hazards, near loss incidents, and loss incidents
- Carrying out fieldwork (e.g. groundwater monitoring, soils sampling through test pit excavations or borehole drilling, subcontractor supervision, and drilling investigations, etc.) under the supervision of and upon receiving training from more experienced colleagues.
- Maintaining excellent field notes and collecting and handling soil and groundwater samples while adhering to current industry standards and regulatory requirements
- Supervising subcontractors for ground disturbance and utility location, surveying, borehole drilling, groundwater monitoring well installation, and test pit excavation
- Overseeing remedial contractors including directing remedial excavations, waste tracking, and progress reporting
- Participating and contributing to a team environment and being a strong communicator;
- Performing and recording work tasks as requested efficiently and accurately while adhering to current industry standards and regulatory requirements
- You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life-Saving rules to heart;
- A degree in environmental science, engineering, or a related field;
- Junior level experience in environmental investigations;
- An Ontario Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle;
- Proficiency with common environmental and other software is an asset;
- Flexible, well organized, interested in technical and personal advancement, able to carry out assignments with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and strong verbal and written communication in English are essential.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.