Location: Ottawa, Canada
In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
For decades, Ottawa has been a global technology leader. Today, Canada's capital holds one of the brightest and most diverse technological ecosystems in North America. Voted as Canada's best place to live 2017 by Maclean's, Ottawa offers a low cost of living with a high quality of life. The Thales Ottawa office has been a major supplier and long-term trusted partner to DND, enabling the Canadian Armed Forces and the Canadian Coast Guard to achieve mission success.
The HR Shared Services 1 st Point Lead , North America role supports Thales businesses across North America . This role supervises the daily tasks of the 1 st Point HR team that provides exceptional first level support to employees, HR, managers and third - parties with Human Resources needs. This includes but is not limited to areas of Benefits, Payroll, Immigration, company policy and proce dures, HR systems, e tc. This role is in the center of all people activity within the organization, ensuring employee success from hire to retire . This role reports to the Head of HR Shared Services, North America.
Essential Functions / Key Areas of Responsibility
• Oversee team of HR Shared Services Specialists within 1st Point HR team
• Assign tasks to 1st Point team members
• Oversee completion of daily tasks within 1st Point HR team
• Manage the team schedule • Escalate to the Head of HR Shared Services as needed Projects: •
• Coordinate and complete special projects under HR Shared Services by clarifying project objectives, set timelines, develop and organize information, and fulfill tasks/activities, as needed
• Manage expectations, communicate project status and issues and prepare reports
• Support with cyclical, ad-hoc and new campaigns (such as, Annual Salary Review, Bonus Payments, Shares Campaign, etc).
• Equip 1st Point team members with processes to follow in accordance with specific project needs • Participate and execute internal year-end projects, audits and other action items
• Ensure integrity and quality of the data in the HRIS database as well as in the Case Management System
• Maintain HRIS data records and workflow pertaining to employee and ensures entries are timely, accurate and consistent in relation to organizational adjustments, comp increases, one-time payments, cost center transfers, promotions, password reset, reduced work week etc.
• Audit HRIS data to ensure data integrity and take necessary actions, such as updating system or following up with managers, employees or HR.
• Audit contract end dates and follows up with managers to confirm next steps and triggers required paperwork and ensures HRIS activities are completed accordingly
• Generate standard HRIS reports as requested and assists in building analytics
• Participate with testing in instances for new HRIS rollouts
• Initiate STD claims with third party in accordance with policy
• Coordinate, track, follow up and manage STD claims until completion
• Manage new parental leaves by completing tasks in HRIS and generating documents as needed, in accordance with policy and procedure
• Track and follow up on new parental leaves until completion
• Complete leave of absence requests in HRIS in accordance with policy and procedure
• Track and follow up on leave of absences until completion
• Action payroll related items to support with overall payroll
• Support and complete Unemployment Insurance forms and portal management, per state requirements
• Support and implement any payroll related changes mandated by payroll, state or federal legislations
• Ensure timely completion of pay related matters, meeting payroll deadlines (payroll audits)
• Support IM Manager with any International Assignment arrivals/departures, and its payroll functions
• Support with year-end functions regarding international employees for tax purposes
• Responds to all employee queries related to HRIS, payroll, HR policy and process and other, via phone or email
• Thoroughly document inquiries via case management tool to ensure required information is recorded accurately in accordance with policies and practices
• Collaborate with HR Partners or other COE's ensuring all inquiries are resolved efficiently and accurately. When needed, escalates/transfers cases to the appropriate individual for resolution.
• Track and follow up on cases and employee related matters
• Ensure SLA's are met and monitored
• Prepare termination calculation and release related letters and materials to ensure compliance and proper approvals have been followed
• Coordinate and trigger voluntary post termination activities
• Contribute and support the development of 1st Point HR knowledge material, including information articles, process guides, reference tools and service process workflows
• Maintain knowledge of company and departmental policies and procedures
• Support Thales' HR department with special projects, mass communications, and other duties as needed and assigned
• Liaise with various internal stakeholders
• Maintain communications schedule
• Focus on continuous improvement efforts by identifying common questions or trends and discussing solutions
• Contribute and lead continuous process improvement around processes and procedures under the HR Shared Services scope
• Initiate notifications accordingly
• Ensure timely completion of pay related matters, meeting payroll deadlines
• Accountable for maintaining data records pertaining to employee record tracking in paper or electronic filing
• Ensure timely processing of HR invoices
• Prepare various employee letters in a timely manner outside of HRIS workflow (LOE, Business Visitor letters etc.)
• Issue Immigration letters and packages (Visa, PR, etc) in consultation with Immigration lawyer
• Prepare reports on team productivity as needed
• Participate in audits as needed
• Maintain knowledge of company and departmental policies and procedures
• Completes an annual review of all documents jointly with the Head of HR Shares Services and HR Partner team.
• Complete reporting as needed
• Support Thales' HR department with special projects as needed
Other duties as needed and assigned
• Minimum Requirements: Skills, Experience, Education, Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Certifications, Language
• University degree or College diploma in Human Resources or related field
• 5+ years of related HR experience Experience in HR shared services environment with a strong sense of ownership
• Knowledge of HR practices through post-secondary education, an HR professional designation, and/or work experience in HR
• Strong customer service skills
• Ability to work well and collaborate in team environment
• Critical Thinking skills; able to identify escalation points
• Demonstrates strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to handle complex and demanding situations tactfully when dealing with customers and assist other team members with problem resolutions
• Highly organized with ability to prioritize duties during periods of high volume and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong time management skills (meeting SLAs)
• Discretion to deal with personal and confidential information with sensitivity and tact
• Adaptable to changing business practices
• Understanding of a Shared Service function and Customer Service principles
• Proficient computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, One Note, Workday, Case Management system)
• Strong results-oriented work ethic with a focused attention to detail and follow through to resolution
• Preferred Qualifications
• HR Certification or working towards it is an asset
• Experienced/working knowledge of employment standards legislation and variances by US states and Canadian provinces is an asset
• CHRP or CHRL designation or working towards it is an asset
• Bilingual (English/French) is an asset
• This position requires direct or indirect access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Export Control List, Canadian Controlled Goods Program, the Canadian Industrial Security Program, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be able to meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance.
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.
Human Resources Maintenance and Technicians