WSP is seeking a Health & Safety Technician to ensure compliance with and enforce applicable H&S Legislation, Regulations, Codes and Standards in addition to WSP HSSEA and Client H&S requirements. You will serve as the initial contact for all site-specific health and safety activities and actively promote iSMS and Global Safety Rules.
This opportunity is to join the WSP team responsible for the execution and construction of the Port Hope Area Initiative (PHAI)
. The PHAI represents the federal government's response to the community-requested solution for the cleanup and local, long-term, safe management of historic low-level radioactive waste in the municipalities of Port Hope and Clarington.
Please note we will consider candidates based in various locations throughout Canada, but this opportunity is based at the project site in Port Hope, OntarioWhy WSP?
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.#WeAreWSP A day in the life:
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Provides active HSSE leadership by participation, leading by example, and demonstrated interest in the health and safety program; sets a good example for workers by attitude, conduct and compliance with safety requirements.
- Suspends any operation that threatens the health or safety of workers or the public, and immediately notifying the Superintendent and H&S Manager.
- Takes prudent measures to reduce hazards or to correct unsafe conditions or actions when becoming aware of such unsafe or potentially unsafe work conditions.
- Provides for active worker participation in the project H&S Program; provides information, instruction, and training to workers necessary for the protection of their health and safety.
- Advises an employee of the existence of any potential or actual danger to the health or safety of which project management is aware.
- Coordinates WSP H&S Program on multi-employer project sites with all parties, including the Client and subcontractors.
- Assesses risks and identifies, prioritizes, and controls hazards on the project, prior to starting work activities and during work activities. Includes preparation of Job Hazard Assessments.
- Recognizes, evaluates, and controls occupational exposures to toxic chemicals, utilizing regulatory and professional reference resources such as Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), OELs, NIOSH Pocket Guide, and others; consults and engages WSP's Certified Industrial Hygienists (CIH), Registered Occupational Hygienists (ROH), and other professionals as needed.
- Implements and maintains project-specific programs, plans, procedures, and practices specific to the project for the protection of the health and safety of workers.
- Communicates WSP H&S requirements to subcontractors and ensures their compliance.
- Participates in client facing meetings/inspections and communicates Health and Safety stats and presentations.
- Prepares, distributes, and maintains all safety reports and records as required by the WSP H&S Program.
**Health and Safety Technicians must be capable of wearing all required PPE&C, including respirators, if required. Site-specific PPE&C will be provided, other than work boots (allowance provided).
- Occupational Health and Safety experience, preferably within the Ontario construction industry and large-scale Projects.
- Eligible for registration as CRST and NCSO designation.
- Experience working on engineered construction, civil works, geotechnical, demolition, environmental remediation and/or nuclear construction projects.
- Experience and knowledgeable working under Ontario H&S Legislation, codes, practices, standards.
- Proven record of developing, implementing, and embedding a strong safety culture on project sites.
- A valid G license and have a reliable vehicle.
- Valid Standard First Aid with CPR C or able to obtain within first 2 months of employment.
- Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Eligible for Reliability security clearance (individual must have 3 full years of verifiable history in Canada, USA, UK, New Zealand and/or Australia).
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
Health Care Other