100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Audit, Risk & ComplianceForensic Investigator
- Protects the people, assets and information of BMO through forensic investigation services by applying investigative skills on a variety of matters including regulatory, compliance, frauds, and other criminal acts committed against BMO world-wide.
- Contributes to the reduction and prevention of criminal activity by reporting and analyzing incidents for civil and criminal proceedings, conducting forensic investigations, providing litigation support, and supporting internal educational efforts.
- Executes work within BMO policies and procedures, and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Recommends and implements solutions relating to investigations based on analysis of issues.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Provides advice and guidance to stakeholders to mitigate criminal activity, misconduct and related risk.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders and ensures alignment as required.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyzes data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses/escalates issues.
- Writes timely, concise reports on incidents and communicates verbally on urgent matters.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of operational programs.
- Executes work to deliver timely, accurate, and efficient service.
- Identifies perpetrators, method of operation and circumstances, recovers amounts involved, preserves evidence and presents same in court.
- Traces funds through accounts, transactions and financial institutions to maximize recovery efforts.
- Performs activities focussed on the recovery of funds lost or at risk due to fraud.
- Identifies, validates and maximizes recovery in kiting situations, and assists branch in preventing/minimizing such losses.
- Provides litigation support for civil and criminal proceedings, including court testimony.
- Establishes and maintains productive relationships with business/groups by providing advice and counsel.
- Maintains effective relations with law enforcement officials and coordinates investigations with those undertaken by the police.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Provides specialized consulting, analytical and technical support.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently and regularly handles non-routine situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
Typically between 5 - 7 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of CPA rules.
- Working knowledge of the criminal justice system, criminal law, and rules of evidence.
- Significant experience in banking and processes.
- Good working knowledge and experience in accessing banking systems.
- Experience resolving issues of moderate/high complexity or risk.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
We're here to help
- Individual Contributor / Collaborateur
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.