Director, Loss Prevention and Safety
Reference ID: 1071621
This senior operations department role leads the Loss Prevention and Health & Safety function for Staples Canada. This role exists to reduce the impact of shrinkage on our net profits and to ensure Staples Canada operates in a healthy and safe manner, both legislatively and operationally.
The Director is responsible for establishing the overall strategy and tactical planning for the protection and safeguarding of company assets, including, but not limited to, property, equipment, merchandise and all forms of tender. This includes retail stores, .ca facilities and home office. The role is responsible for overall application, integration and ongoing development of the national field audit program. Will research, develop, communicate, monitor and investigate all Loss Prevention activities, programs, policies and procedures. Select, train and manage direct reports including Sr. Regional Loss Prevention Managers, National LP Investigator, LP Procurement and Reporting Specialist.
The Director oversees the health and safety function of the business and is supported by a Manager of Health and Safety. The Director understands the implication of government legislation and ensures Staples complies. The Director aligns Staples health and safety practices accordingly.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy Development and Direction
• Select, research/evaluate and manage appropriate vendors for outsourced services such as intrusion alarm, investigations, floor walking, locking hardware, CCTV, EAS, and criminal/credit background verification
• Research and maintain working knowledge of current trends in technology, practices and legal and relevant legislative issues
• Proactively develop long term strategic plans and recommendations to support future growth, opportunities and business direction in terms of profit preservation and sales generation
• Determine ways to maintain product protection while enhancing the selling opportunities for our customers and process execution for store operators in support of our easy brand promise and shrink objectives
• Determine the correlation between the company metrics in LP and Safety and the effectiveness of loss prevention & safety programs and related policy and procedure - evaluating future of each and aligning overall strategy and recommendations to the findings
• Ensure security related policy and practices minimize work place safety concerns
LP & Safety Knowledge and Guidance
• Research, review, develop and/or amend operational procedures for loss prevention, safety and security activities in order to identify, reduce or eliminate contributing factors to losses. In this regard, areas of interest and opportunity include internal security, physical security of people and property, and investigation process in an effort to minimize losses/risk through theft, accidents and criminal acts
• Proactively identify and recommend appropriate courses of action to minimize potential threats or hazards, which could adversely affect the security of company property or personnel. Provides guidance and leadership on non-routine issues to the Sr. Managers, Loss Prevention.
• Direct timely and thorough investigations by the Sr. Managers, Loss Prevention, National Investigator and/or outside investigation service contractors of all theft or loss related incidents, allegations of dishonesty, or related complaints concerning customers and products
• Diriger et surveiller field audit process to advance business strategy, improve net profitability and strengthen core knowledge
• Identify and reduce risk exposure
Internal/External Communication and Reporting
• Track and regularly evaluate statistical data to determine the viability and ongoing cost effectiveness of implemented initiatives
• Interface with function heads and other management team members to formulate policies and make related recommendations on various new initiatives
• Maintain liaison with local as well as provincial and federal law enforcement agencies, and professional associations (such as RCC, AIFCI, banks, and credit card processing companies, credit and criminal reporting). Oversee the preparation and submission of investigative reports
• Represent Staples Canada and its interests at national and regional loss prevention and/or health & safety councils/advisory boards
• Provides a leadership role in promoting Company ethics and values
• Provides leadership and direction to overall LP team, and has ownership and responsibility for company shrink results
• Ownership and responsibility for company safety results including metrics related to our audit processes and health & safety culture, working through the National H&S Manager.
• Acts as a consultant to the Company to leverage LP and Health & Safety expertise
• Trains and develops direct reports, providing insights on their work, coaching and aligning their work to current strategies.
• Performs regular performance appraisals and ensures performance goals/objectives of the team are set and updated throughout the year.
• Working with appropriate resources, develop training and communications programs to increase associate awareness of loss prevention and safety techniques and programs
• Develop and control the annual loss prevention budget, in keeping with corporate goals and objectives
• Annual expense and new store capital spending on various security hardware vendors products and services approx. 3M (2.7 in FY06)
• Annual Operating budget spending approx. $100K
• Annual Capital programs spending approx. 1M
• Annual LP payroll expense $700K (plus expenses)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORKING CONDITIONS
• Office Environment
• Intensive travel is required
• Provincial license requirements as outlined in applicable provincial legislation
• Seasoned LP and safety knowledge including auditing, investigation techniques, legal requirements, and industry practices.
• Experienced in physical security applications
• Strong understanding of operational business processes and ability to apply this business knowledge to identify and reduce actual/potential risks
• Bilingual is preferred.
• Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive loss prevention and safety experience. Minimum of five years of management experience in retail, safety, loss prevention, law enforcement is required
• Bachelors degree with a focus in safety, law enforcement or risk management or equivalent blend of education and experience is required
• Number of Direct reports with team of less than 3 associates: 3
• Number of Direct reports with team of 3 or more associates: 2
• Total reports (direct or indirect): 11
Please note that candidates must consent to having a criminal background check conducted on them.
Staples is committed to providing accommodation to people with disabilities throughout the job application and interview process to the point of undue hardship. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact a Customer Care Representative at 1-866-782-7537.
Posted: December 13, 2018
Closes: February 11, 2019