Title: Compliance Officer, Investment Management
Requisition ID: 92200
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Purpose of Job
1832 Asset Management L.P. ("1832 LP") provides portfolio management services to the Scotia Funds, Dynamic Funds and institutional and high net worth clients. The 1832 LP Investment Management Compliance team provides real time and post trade monitoring and portfolio management compliance oversight. The incumbent is responsible for assisting the 1832 LP Investment Management Compliance team with this oversight; with a special focus on the investment constraints governing the portfolio management and trading activities in1832 LP. The incumbent will work closely with the Senior Compliance Officer and the Senior Manager (Investment Management Compliance) monitoring 1832 LP's Charles River Compliance Module and assisting with department special projects as required. Major Accountabilities
- Investigates and resolves trading and portfolio management compliance breaches arising from post trade reviews.
- Review and investigate trading compliance violations as they occur and provide an appropriate response in order to promptly execute the trade(s).
- In the conduct of all activities, pro-actively identifies actual and potential violations of regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures, and/or other high-risk situations in a timely manner to mitigate business and operational risk.
- Conducts appropriate inquiries and investigations in relation to any such situation and ensures that appropriate corrective actions and/or risk mitigation actions are implemented in a timely manner or escalated.
- Conducts monitoring of daily trades including derivative strategies and provide oversight on cash cover requirements that are reportable under the firm's regulatory reporting obligations in order to identify potential compliance gaps.
- The incumbent will use his/her analytical skills to conduct relevant research and arrive at conclusions and/or recommendations based on the exercise of good judgment on moderately complex decisions falling within standard policies; and escalate matters beyond existing policies.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of the 1832 LP Funds and Client Accounts Constraint Rule Library with the goal of ensuring all fund and client constraints are properly identified and documented. Works with the Senior Compliance Officer and Senior Manager to ensure all identified constraints are controlled for within the electronic trading surveillance system.
- Provides compliance approvals or assesses requests for approval and makes recommendations to Compliance management.
- Develop a thorough understanding, with guidance, of the investment strategies employed by 1832 LP and assists in ensuring the strategies are controlled for within the electronic trading surveillance system.
- Ensures that compliance review procedures are conducted in a high quality, risk-based manner and appropriate follow-up actions are taken.
- Assists in identifying gaps in the existing compliance program and participates in developing, maintaining, and implementing changes to the firm's compliance policies and procedures.
- Maintains a high level of awareness of compliance related changes and developments in the securities industry through review of publications, participation in industry associations, employee development initiatives, etc.
- Prepares and coordinate regulatory reports and logs.
- Other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline (business administration, economics, finance).
- Minimum 2 years' experience in the financial services industry, preferably within a mutual fund company.
- Successful completion of or enrollment in relevant industry related courses and programs; such as the Canadian Securities Course, Derivatives Fundamentals and Options Course, Canadian Investment Manager Program or Chartered Financial Analyst designation.
- Knowledge of the investment restrictions in National Instrument 81-102 is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel is a must.
- Experience in Charles River Compliance Module or Bloomberg AIM Compliance programming and compliance test set-up is an asset.
- Confident, personable, professional presence - ability to immediately garner credibility with portfolio management and trading staff.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Focused, results-oriented individual with the strong ability to multi-task and perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Compliance, Manager, Bank, Banking, Developer, Legal, Management, Finance, Technology
Banking, Finance and Insurance