Who we are
Staples Canada is on journey to become the Working and Learning Company. We are dynamic, inspiring partners to our customers and the communities in which we live. At Staples, we inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We look for people who are curious, approachable and passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that's you, let's work, learn and grow together. Some of what you will do
As the Category Manager, you will be responsible for managing the products, sales, inventory, margin and turnover of specific categories. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the department and overall company vision and brand identity is supported through a differentiated product assortment supporting our customers to Work, Learn and Grow. Working alongside a variety of stakeholders, each day will be fast-paced, challenging, rewarding and meaningful and you will be inspired to bring your best, every day. Specifically, you will:
• Negotiate all vendor buying agreements between the company and respective suppliers.
• Responsible for maximizing the sales and profit of the categories while remaining competitive with pricing.
• Work with inventory analysis reports in order to determine which products are slow movers, which are rapid moving, which are generating more ROI, etc. Maximize the inventory turnover in the categories to meet budget
• Develop sales strategies for the product assortments in your department and to ensure geographic/ demographic trends are reflective in the process.
• Proactively seek out insights from vendors and external trends to drive overall sales, margin, and differentiate our assortment and presence in the market.
• Manage market development funds, (e.g. co-op, V.R.), product returns and inventory mix.
• Work with vendors on promotional planning and funding.
• Partner closely with Marketing, plan and execute aggressive advertising programs.
• Work with vendors and internal teams to develop effective displays and planograms, and support strong consideration to customer shopping experience.
• Plan omni-channel promotional vehicles including digital, media campaigns, and promotional pages as examples.
• Plan out endcaps/pallets/floor displayers for the promo planner utilized in stores in close partnership with the Category Manager, Off Shelf.
• Plan website layout and taxonomy to improve customer shopping experience. Some of what you need
• Minimum of 5-7 years of category management experience preferably with a national retail chain.
• Post secondary degree/diploma with a focus on retail management, merchandising and purchasing or equivalent experience.
• Ability to foresee market trends and changes in order to make effective buying decisions.
• Ability to negotiate, influence and work collaboratively with internal and external partners
• Ability to inspire and motivate teams and drive accountability
• Solutions finder
Some of what you will get
• Associate discount
• Health and Dental benefits
• Performance bonuses
• Learning & Development programs
• And more... Additional Information
• Flexibility to work at office and remotely.
• Periodic travel required. Employment Statement
Staples is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. We will accommodate applicants' needs, upon request, throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Please inform us of the accommodation(s) that you may require. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.