250 Yonge Street
Job Family Group:
Audit, Risk & Compliance
The AI & Analytics Risk Officer will be responsible for maintaining and overseeing the enterprise-wide Data, AI and analytics risk framework in BMO. This role is accountable for managing the broad range of risks to ensure they are identified and "bad risks" are addressed in a timely manner.
This includesArtificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Robotics Process Automation (RPA), and other analytical practices operated in-house or provided by 3rd parties. In addition, this role will also support the data risk management mandate of the team.
The role is accountable for the following primary activities:
- Enterprise risk management policies and guardrails:
- Developing and maintaining risk governance, frameworks to proactively monitor and address adverse risks brought on by AI and analytical practices.
- Establish enterprise risk appetite for AI & other analytics practices and defining control objectives.
- Enterprise Risk Oversight:
- Provide informed risk oversight and challenge, to ensure that risks associated with AI development and other analytical practices (and the use of data) are identified and managed in alignment with the organization's risk appetite.
- Work in collaboration with the first line of defense to develop risk controls, measurement metrics and governance practices. Provide guidance and independent oversight.
- Report on the enterprise AI & Analytics risk state to stakeholders (internally and externally)
- Subject matter support and advisory:
- Be a trusted advisor to the businesses, support internal business partners in the execution of new data and analytics capabilities. Provide objective and independent risk expert advice and counsel.
- Work with corporate partners on preventative measures to address potential adverse effects from AI & other analytical activities.
- Risk understanding and industry liaison:
- Proactively monitor trends and developments in AI & other analytics (tools and techniques), their applications in financial services sector and relevant risk management practices. Identify emerging issues and interpret implications to BMO; communicate to inform decision making.
- Network with industry contacts to gather competitive insights and best practices. Act as the primary contact for internal/external stakeholder relationships, which may include regulatory bodies related to AI and analytics risks.
Knowledge & Skills:
We're here to help
- University degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Data Science, Computer Science, applied mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, financial economics)
- Technical experience in quantitative techniques including Artificial Intelligence, Robotics Process Automation and other analytical development space (data visualization, data pipelining, etc.). Demonstrated knowledge of the data/AI development Lifecyle, including experience with data modelling and data quality
- Minimum of 5 years of executing risk and compliance strategy, programs, operations and frameworks. Proven experience in identifying, assessing and monitoring non-financial risk, leveraging extensive insights and experience within the industry. Prior experience managing data and technology risk is preferred.
- Superior ability to effectively communicate risk and threat topics to executives and secure support. Current experience in managing emerging technology risk an asset.
- Strong relationship skills and expertise in collaborating with stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Excellent business acumen and analytical skills, including financial and business analysis, research, and complex methodological concepts with demonstrated aptitude for strategic and critical thinking.
- Experience with AI programming language (R, Python, nix or command batch scripts, etc.) and data visualization tools (power BI, PowerApps, HTML, etc.)
- Experience working with AWS, Azure or other key data/analytics service providers considered an asset
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.